Friday, May 1, 2015

CHEATIN' Tour, Part 4

My next stop on my tour was Denver, where I met a lot of old friends to reminisce about my early years.  Also, Ron Henderson, the past director of the Denver Film Festival, was there to introduce me.  Back in the mid-1990's, he was the first person to organize a complete Bill Plympton retrospective.

Finally, I arrived in my home state of Oregon, to do a 4-city tour.  It began in Portland, where I dropped in at LAIKA, the studio behind "The Boxtrolls", "Coraline" and "Paranorman" - I gave a talk to help promote my film and got to hang out with Travis Knight, lead animator on "The Boxtrolls".


Then I had two sold-out shows at Cinema 21, thanks to Tom Ranieri and my local publicity guy, Steve Tenhonen.

The next day, I traveled to Salem Cinema, where my old friend Loretta Miles organized an afternoon premiere of CHEATIN'.  As soon as I finished my Q&A, I jumped into my rental car and hustled up to Portland to do an appearance on the LiveWire broadcast.

                                       Hey, it's a cake with my "Guard Dog" character on it!

It was a packed house of 700 people, even with a monsoon storm going on outside.  LiveWire is a very cool radio show, similar to "Prairie Home Companion" - lots of awesome interviews, comedians and musical guests.  In the green room, I got to chat with Ken Jennings, the celebrated all-time winner of the most games on "Jeopardy!", and Andy Richter from the "Conan" show.  Of course, I was there to promote CHEATIN', now available on Vimeo on Demand.

                                             With Andy Richter at the LiveWire broadcast

                                                  With Jeopardy! champ Ken Jennings

The following day, I drove to Corvallis, home of the Oregon State Beavers, to appear at the cool Darkside Cinema - unfortunately, they weren't aware of my appearance until the day before, so there were only 6 Plympton fans in the audience.

On to Eugene, home of the Oregon Ducks - I showed CHEATIN' at the Bijou Cinema, which used to be a church, then a funeral home, and now it's a very "religious" cinema.

Part 5 coming soon!

--Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment